Popular Nigerian song writer, singer and producer, Babatunde Jezreel Okungbowa aka OJB Jezreel died in the early hours of today, June 14.
Here are things you need to know about the late actor:
1. OJB Jezreel aka jigga man, is a renowned producer, writer and executive producer for over two decades.
2. OJB started music sometimes in 1986, according to him, its about that time.
3. OJB has three kids with his first wife Mabel Okungbowa, three with his second, June ‘Ama’ Okungbowa and two with his third, Korede Okungbowa. All three ladies have a deep background in music and entertainment.
4. The artiste who confesses to having a rather uneventful childhood started making beats in backroom studios, first in his Surulere neighborhood and later in other parts of the city.
5. He and his friends, Micheal Richman and the three Dairo brothers, Henry, Banji and the now famous Paul Play, scions of Nigerian juju music icon,IK Dairo, formed a production crew called Playground, House n Effects(PHE) and started making and offering Hip Hop/R&B beats to popular Nigerian artistes at the time.
6. During the phase of the birth of the new age music in the late 90′s, Ojb helped to redefine the sound to be more globally accepted with the likes of TX, kush and etim eyo(Arista records) which made the likes of the then leila steinberg of interscope records see the possibility in our music becoming international mainstream.
7. His biggest break was with 2face‘s “African Queen” setting a yet to be beaten record not just in Nigeria but in Africa! 10million copies in Nigeria alone and 8million copies internationally, this made him the most sort after producer in Nigeria and some regions of Africa.
8. . In June, 2013 veteran music producer OJB Jezreel revealed to Nigerians that his two kidneys had stopped working.
9. July 4, 2013, Gov. Rotimi Amaechi ordered that a sum of $100,000 is given to OJB Jezreel for his kidney transplant, which is the total sum needed for the operation and also covers feeding and accommodation costs.
10. The musician had a successful kidney transplant operation on October 21, 2014, in India. His first wife, Mabel, donated one of her kidneys to him
OJB released a new track titled o da be on May 31 2016
May his soul rest in peace.
Culled from Naij.com